Driving Under a Suspended License

January 24, 2024 |
Driving Under a Suspended License


A suspended license can throw your life into disarray. It can impact your ability to do your job, care for your family, and attend school or other obligations. As such, it is not uncommon for people to struggle significantly with this limitation on their driving privilege. However, if you are charged and convicted of driving on a suspended license, you may face even more consequences. 

At Fedelai & Reid Law, LLC, we understand how scary facing charges for driving under a suspended license can be. Our team of experienced defense attorneys has a strong reputation for helping our clients deal with these types of charges, and we are prepared to put our knowledge and experience to work for you. 

If you were charged with driving under a suspended license in Greenville, message us through our online contact form or call our office at (864) 668-1661 to discuss your defense options.


There are various reasons why a driver's license might be suspended in South Carolina, ranging from accumulating too many points on a driving record to other legal infractions. However, one commonly faced situation is a license suspension due to a conviction for Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or Driving with Unlawful Alcohol Concentration (DUAC). The penalties for driving under a suspended license, particularly when the suspension is a result of a DUI or DUAC conviction, can be severe. 

According to S.C. Code § 56-1-460(A)(2), these penalties may include:

  • For a first offense: A fine of $300 or a minimum jail term of 10 days, not exceeding 30 days. 
  • For a second offense: A fine of $600 or a minimum jail term of 60 days, not exceeding six (6) months. 
  • For a third or subsequent offense: A fine of $1000 and a minimum jail term of six (6) months and not to exceed three (3) years. 

In addition to these penalties, the Department of Motor Vehicles will extend the original license suspension. 

Please note that penalties can vary depending on the specific circumstances of each case. If you find yourself in such a situation, it is critical to consult with a professional attorney who can provide guidance tailored to your specific case. 


If you are charged with driving on a suspended license, particularly following a DUI or DUAC, consulting with an experienced attorney is crucial. A proficient attorney like those at Fedelai & Reid Law, LLC can provide valuable assistance in multiple ways. They can review your case thoroughly, assess the evidence, and determine potential legal strategies for your defense. 

With our in-depth understanding of South Carolina's legal framework, we can help you as you work towards securing a favorable outcome, potentially challenging the license suspension itself. Remember, legal assistance isn't just about courtroom representation; it's also about ensuring your rights are protected and your best interests are served throughout the entire process.


Facing charges for driving on a suspended license following a DUI or DUAC can be daunting. However, you may have more options than you think, including challenging your license suspension. Another potential strategy lies in challenging the original DUI or DUAC charge. This could involve scrutinizing the traffic stop's legality, the administration and accuracy of the blood or breath test, or the arrest procedures. 

Another option, if one is qualified, is to request a route-restricted or provisional license. These licenses allow individuals to travel for essential purposes, like work or school, even while their regular licenses are suspended. 

At Fedelai & Reid Law, LLC, our knowledgeable attorneys are experienced in all these areas, and we are ready to bring you a comprehensive defense plan tailored to your situation. Always remember that the sooner you get in touch, the sooner we can start working on your case and exploring potential defense strategies.

We offer free consultations to clients in Greenville facing charges for driving under a suspended license. Contact our firm online or call (864) 668-1661.